St. Lawrence College is situated in Ramsgate, a historic seaside town on the southeast corner of England. Ramsgate has a picturesque harbour, some lovely Regency architecture and a sandy beach – perfect for enjoying the long summer days!
St Lawrence is in the area known as the Isle of Thanet, which includes several Blue Flag beaches and the seaside towns of Margate and Broadstairs. Thanet has been home to several artists and writers: Charles Dickens, the artist J.M.W Turner and Vincent Van Gogh taught French at a school in Ramsgate.
The cathedral town of Canterbury is a short journey away and London is just 70 minutes away.
Summer by the Beach
We make full use of the sandy beach within walking distance. On sunny days we take our students to the beach to play beach volleyball and build sand sculptures. We also offer walks around the scenic coastline.
Make music and have fun in our summer drumming circle! Enjoy playing African djembe drums and other percussion instruments to make amazing music together as a group! Our drumming sessions are free for students at St. Lawrence College.
Classic Course Overview
Our summer English courses are designed to give students the opportunity to practice their English in a friendly, multicultural environment. Students are actively encouraged to practice their English with students from other nationalities, both in class and outside. We concentrate on raising their confidence and fluency, and bringing out the English they already know, but can’t yet use. At St Lawrence we operate a zig-zag programme where students can have activities in the morning and classes in the afternoon which then change the next week.
About our courses:
- Five levels from Elementary to Advanced
- All students are tested on arrival to grade their spoken and written English to place them in the class of the correct level
- 15 hours of teaching per week from qualified teachers including project work to allow them to use their English creatively and learn more about British culture and history
- A certificate on completion of their course
- Full activity programme including 5 afternoon activities and 7 evening activities
- One half day excursion to local towns and cities
- One full day excursion to more prominent towns and cities further away
- St Lawrence operates a zig-zag programme, meaning classes can take place in the afternoon and activities in the morning. This is alternated throughout the student’s time
Half day excursions may include: Dover Castle, Canterbury Cathedral, Margate beach and the Turner Gallery
Full day excursions may include: London, Cambridge, Brighton
Optional excursions may include: Dreamland (World’s first heritage theme park!), Leeds Castle, London
Sample Activity Programme
|Highlights:||Learn English by the beach! Free Drumming session. En-suite rooms available at supplement|
|Nearest Big Cities:||London and Canterbury|
|Closest Airports:||Gatwick, Heathrow and Stansted|
|Services Included:||24 hour Welfare and Student Support, WIFI and small laundry service|
|Staff to Student Ratio:||1:8|
|School Size:||220 students per week|
|Age Range:||10-14 year olds. 15-17 year olds|
|Full board accommodation is included as standard|
|Drumming session forming a music circle with African Djembe drums and percussion instruments.|
|FREE Beach activities – Make full use of the beach on sunny days and have the opportunity to play beach volleyball, build sand sculptures and make sand art!|